Old Mutual Wins Highest Rated Building Award For Mutualpark – 6-Star Green Star – Existing Building Performance
December 07, 2020
Mutualpark is a commercial office building of over 166 000 m² of rentable B grade office space for over 10 000 staff, with associated parking and site security facilities.
The office building is situated in Jan Smuts Drive, Pinelands and is occupied by Old Mutual employees and contractors. Buildings aging from 1954 to 2002 include office park, conference and training venues, gym, sports fields and retail space.
Old Mutual won the award for their amazing Sustainable Building features which include:
- Mutualpark currently having a 1.3MW Solar Photo Voltaic plant.
- Waste Water Treatment Plant producing potable SANS 241 compliant water from black and municipal treated effluent water.
- Space temperature which is controlled by a centralised cooling plant – Chilled Water system that uses R134a refrigerant, improving its ODP and GWP when compared to R22 gas.
- Aggressive replacement program of diffusers to electronic controlled, localised heating units, removal of the massive heater banks and inefficient mechanically controlled older units.
- Energy efficient lighting, occupancy sensors, LED technology and day light harvesting.
- Escalators having sensors to reduce the speed, and energy consumption, when there are no tenants using the system.
- Waste diversion above 50%, due to onsite waste sorting and robust measurable, striving towards reuse and recycling various waste streams including composting from organic waste.
- Landscaping consisting of waterwise plants and the use of recycled treated effluent for irrigation.