We’re hiring – Technical Co-ordinator
November 21, 2023
The Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA) is looking for a Technical Coordinator in the Technical Team to assist in the reviewing and day to day management of the certification process for all GBCSA Rating Tools (Green Star, GBCSA Net Zero, EWP, and EDGE).
BACKGROUND ON GBCSA
The main functions of the GBCSA are to:
- Promote and raise awareness of green building,
- Make knowledge and resources available to assist those who want to implement green building strategies,
- Support green building education, and
- Establish and manage green building rating tools for South Africa.
BACKGROUND ON THE ROLE REQUIREMENTS
The Technical Coordinator role requires a self-motivated individual to work with GBCSA staff, Assessors, Advisors and Project Teams to support the on-going operations of all the GBCSA’s rating tools, as well as technical training. Rating tools are a key component of GBCSA’s work and are having a significant impact on the SA property industry already. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about using certification as a means to drive change and understands that it’s a tool which is based on quality and sensibility of inputs.
The Technical Team interacts and coordinates several working groups, individuals, and consultants, and as a result there is a strong project management component to much of the work in the Technical Team. This allows the GBCSA to remain a relatively small organisation with a wide reach and high impact on the South African built environment and property sector.
This is an opportunity to join the team in an active organisation at the front of property trends and who is taking a stance against climate change. We have an exciting team, with leadership that values innovation and passion. If you have a calling to be part of shaping our industry, this role has potential.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinating and serving as the day-to-day point person for project registrations, submissions, and assessments under all GBCSA’s rating tools in relation to the on-line tool, manual and the certification process.
- Providing customer service regarding technical queries and stakeholder feedback related to the rating tools and general GBCSA work, including the processes associated with project registration and certification.
- Researching, documenting, and communicating rating tool compliance requirements as needed.
- Assisting in the development, implementation, and ongoing operation of the Green Star rating tools together with the other technical staff as needed.
- Coordinating meetings of GBCSA Assessors, Green Star trainers, and other groups (Technical Working Groups) involved in the operations of the rating tools and training as needed.
- Assisting in the development, implementation, and ongoing operation of the online certification systems for EDGE and the Green Star rating tools.
- Generally supporting the work of the Technical Team including other GBCSA rating tools.
- Case Manager moderation on assessments, assuring consistent quality, as per the assessor principles.
- Assisting on any major tool updates.
Education & Research
- Assisting in the review of training material and the development of new training material used to educate the public, members and all stakeholders on green buildings, the rating tools, the certification process and GBCSA activities in this regard.
- Supporting the development and operation of the training courses, including coordinating the logistics of these courses.
- Assisting with the compilation of content and presenters for the annual GBCSA conference.
- Supporting the research team with content curation, critical data analysis and literature reviews.
Marketing, Promotion & Liaison
- Serving as a contact and resource for technical information for GBCSA members, as well as paid or volunteer consultants.
- Contributing to GBCSA communication initiatives (website content, fact sheets, case studies, newsletters etc.)
- Preparation of in-house updates, papers, or timelines for the GBCSA Board, Management Team or for publication.
- Contributing to GBCSA’s staff activities from general office duties to team meetings.
Knowlege, Skills & Abilities required
- Green Building Certification experience understanding.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills, and an ability to explain technical issues clearly and concisely in lay person’s terms.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a reliable participant of a team.
- Ability to independently manage workload and deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel & Word.
- Strong passion for the green agenda, offering ideas and solutions to drive market transformation in the South African property sector.
Job Qualifications / Experience
- Tertiary qualification in a property-related or environmental science, sustainable development, or similar field, e.g. architecture / engineering / quantity surveying / project management / environmental science qualification / facilities management.
- Industry experience of at least 4-5 years within the built environment.
- Experience as a Green Star Accredited Professional (AP) on successfully certified or registered projects is essential.
- Experience as an EDGE Expert and/or Auditor on successfully certified or registered projects is preferred.
Job Application Requirements
The successful candidate will have to sign an annual performance agreement and might be required to undergo a security clearance.
Applicants are to provide:
- Identity Document (must be certified in the past 12 months),
- Proof of citizenship if not RSA citizen (must be certified in the past 12 months),
- Valid driver’s license (where driving/travelling is an inherent requirement of the job) (must be certified in the past 12 months),
- A one-page application/motivation letter,
- A comprehensive CV specifying all experience indicating the respective dates (MM/YY), as well as three reference persons with the following information: name and contact number(s), email address and an indication of the capacity in which the reference is known to the candidate.
Failure to submit the above information will result in the application not being considered.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have foreign qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Reference checks will be done during the selection process. Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates.
Shortlisted candidates must be available for interviews at a date and time determined by GBCSA. Applicants must note that pre-employment checks will be conducted once they are short-listed and the appointment is also subject to positive outcomes on these checks, which include security clearance, qualification verification, and criminal records. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a competency evaluation as part of the selection process.
The incumbent will be paid a market-related package according to experience and qualifications.